Disclaimer: This site is following COVID-19 protocols which are updated with the Hawaii State Department of Health and may restrict certain activities.
Join us in Volcanos National Park and help native plants survive by removing invasive, non-native ginger and other plant species in the park, on the Big Island of Hawaii.
- Guided hike along the Crater Rim Trail on Hawaii Island
- Learn about the importance of plants in Hawaii
- Help a National Park Thrive
- Habilitate growth in the park and help the ‘aina (land) by cutting invasive Himalayan ginger (Heydechium See an Active Volcano & Remove Invasive Ginger in Volcano national park) on park trails.
Know Before You Join
- All participants are responsible for park entry fees (price & pass options vary)
- Recommend for ages 8 and above and with adult supervision for minors
- All participants must sign a release of liability waiver onsite
- Ability to perform gardening tasks while bending, kneeling, lifting, and stretching
- Able to hike for 1 hour and stay on feet for 4 hours over uneven terrain with 400 foot elevation changes
- Check conditions for park closures especially due to volcanic eruptions
- Note: this activity is located on the Big Island of Hawaii (note the island where Honolulu is)