Disclaimer: This site is following COVID-19 protocols which are updated with the Hawaii State Department of Health and may restrict certain activities.
Lomilomi, like all forms of healing, is an unfolding process of many steps. This approach to Hawaiian lomilomi focuses on settling the nervous system and integrating all parts of the body into one. Drawing on lessons of hula and lei making, students weave lomilomi massage techniques into a tailored treatment that addresses body, mind and spirit.
This activity begins and ends at a community based mindful movement Center that has been offering multicultural classes, events and workshops for over 7 years, in the heart of Honolulu’s Kaka’ako neighborhood near Ala Moana and Waikiki.
- All classes have been moved to an online platform. Visit the Still and Moving Center website to view the schedule
- The activity is led by kumu hula, Malia Helela, traditionally trained hula instructor, lomilomi practitioner and cultural advisor
- Discover a new perspective through the eyes of a traditional healer and cultural practitioner
- Learn about the historical highlights and evolution of the Hawaiian traditional art of lomilomi
- Make connections between traditional & contemporary healing practices and their relation to overall health and well-being
- Experience a hula & self-care massage techniques
- This activity begins at a community based mindful movement center that has been offering multicultural classes, events and workshops for over 7 years, in the heart of Kaka’ako
Know Before You Join
- The activity is simultaneously translated to Japanese”
- Suitable for children ages 14 and up
- Hands-on techniques encouraged and practiced
- Observation-only also possible if requested
- Some proceeds donated to travel2change and Ho Ola Na Pua